Skip to main content

Eastward Ho! France-ward we go

 We departed Chicago on the 20th, so as to arrive in Toulouse on the 21st, so as to arrive at our house-sitting place northwest of the city on the 22nd, 2/22/22, two two two two two, no matter what your cultural date-sequence is!  

Husbanding of United frequent flyer points finally achieved business-class on their Polaris-branded plane. Indeed it was quite nice; but the main point was to be able to sleep on a flat bed, so I ate dinner then slept five hours, with earplugs and eyeshades.  Interestingly, my apple-watch noted that my blood-oxygen level was quite low during that sleep.  I wonder if that is typical?  

Note to self: when you get business-class ticket, you get automatic entry to the business-class lounge in the airport.  That was not explained on the website, nor in my prior reading in various airline blogs.  We sat around OHare in a generic seating area for a couple of hours, actually not bad...but when we checked at the gate, the agent said "Hey, the flight's delayed a bit, you might as well enjoy the business-class lounge." Oh.  It was nice; we enjoyed a glass of wine and a snack, in a quiet leather chair. 

Then arriving in Frankfurt to realize we have a 5-hour wait.  So we try to find the PriorityPass lounge.  Various workers point in various directions, and say we have to go outside passport control -- indeed, we leave the transit area and get our passports stamped, walk a long way around to find the small Luxx Lounge, which was overheated and a bit crowded, but some snacks and quiet available.  After an hour or so in the heat, we decide to head back to the gate, again through passport control and very-thorough security checkpoint, and pass by ... the Lufthansa Business-class Lounge! Lo and behold, we are granted permission: spacious, quiet, lots of German businessmen on phones and laptops, nice snacks (fresh big pretzels!).  

Flight to Toulouse was easy--European business-class seat simply means there is an empty seat next to you.   The big surprise was in Toulouse, where we arrived on time at 6:30pm.  No customs officials.  No passport officials.  Not even a policeman or authority figure in sight.  The airport was obviously shutting down for the night.  Delightful, you say?  But I was expecting some help perhaps getting a simcard, and definitely getting my passport stamped, because...I had signed up for a getaround.com car rental the next day, and they (after many back-and-forth e-mails) would only authorize me if I could prove legitimate arrival in France, specifically with the current passport stamp.  I (thought I) needed a French entry-stamp in my passport.  Calling the information office (no human is visible) at the kiosk reveals that the guy is in the back room, getting ready to go home.  He comes out, is helpful and apologetic, says I can go upstairs to the Police Frontière and ring the bell, they can stamp my passport.  We make our way through the quieting airport to the Police door, ring the intercom, and I try to explain my need to the guy over the intercom.  He was clearly not wanting to open any door.  My French was quite halting, as I'm tired and find it hard to understand the tinny intercom speaker and I can't remember all the terminology -- tampon, by the way, is the French term for the passport stamp.  After I finally explain the reason for my need, he says to just take a photo of my German entry stamp and my airline boarding pass to Toulouse.  He reassured me that he had heard this many times before.  Really?  Really.  I nervously snapped a photo right there, submitted it online to getaround.com, and voila!  I am approved!  

More later.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My COVID journey, finally

11oct22 story of Covid: I flew to Des Moines for a mini-reunion of Thomas cousins; flew back on Monday the 3rd.  I did not wear a mask.  Evidently I should have worn a mask, as I later came down with Covid.  The infection could come from anywhere, typically airborne virus shed by someone in the communicable phase of the disease.   Throughout my airport and flight experience was quite calm and uneventful, so my guess is the most likely vector for the virus was the deplaning time – people are really eager to get out,  they are talking, pressing close together, straining to grab bags from the overhead compartment and coordinate with their partners, thus breathing heavily.  Very few people wore a mask.  I do not remember anyone coughing or sniffling or breathing heavily around me, but that deplaning process is always rather hectic.  I did not press to go quickly, but I did not want to delay my windowside seatmate, so I joined the crowd.  As it was, when I arrived at baggage claim, my suit

Montpellier

  [23mar22] Another walking day: to the A rc de Triomphe , passing through quaint quiet attractive old neighborhoods, particularly the P lace de Marché des Fleurs.  Arc de Triomphe is spectacular, next to an equally impressive Palais de Justice , and the Promenade de Peyrou that has a great view of the surrounding hills and the aqueduct built by Peyrou to supply the city's fountains.  The Jardin des Plantes – oldest botanical garden in Europe – opens at noon, so we walk around to the Cathedral St.Etienne, with its obscure side entrance, but huge interior space, really huge and rather stark, in keeping with its 13 th century origin – though of course several later kings and bishops added chapels, stained-glass, and organ.  While there, the organ started up, providing appropriate sonic accompaniment to the surroundings (ref. My video).   We return to the garden to await its opening, chatting with some Chicago tourists (go Bears!).  The garden is very nice place for sauntering, and

Riding the Bus often

From 201010 Saudi scenes It is ironic that this land of cheap gasoline has so much group transport -- buses. From 201010 Saudi scenes Our housing compound has a Toyota-Coaster bus that takes some to/from school (we usually go earlier and return later, on a similar bus that the school provides). Driver Yahya takes residents on the 90-minute trip down to the Big City shopping every Thursday morning. The above picture shows our group one Thursday, usually going to Ikea or the new Lulu's Hypermarket , or the Dhahran Mall. Coleman rides a different bus every day to and from school -- usually 100 minutes there, 80 minutes back.  His bus is evidently an old tourist bus, usually comfortable but a bit dusty.  The air-conditioning usually works too well.  I've ridden it with him several times, to attend business meetings at the district office. From 201010 Saudi scenes There he is, at 5:45am every morning, at the start of the bus run. Fortunately only about 20 students